ok, so i don’t really cook. i mean, i guess i get by with spaghetti, salads, breakfast eggie concoctions, and the like, but i don’t really coooook.
well guess what! today, i made something new and it was TASTY.
i made halibut empanadas. my cuban peeps taught me how to make fish empanadas while i was in miami over christmas break. i actually recorded my uncle making them and listing off the ingredients. i didn’t have some of the fresh veggies he suggested, so i improvised!
the photo above was taken in the process…the dough is still raw!
for those of you who don’t know what empanadas are….it’s like super amazing meat/fish/whatever filling wrapped in a little dough blanket that is either fried or baked.
the recipe my uncle gave me called for goya sazon, lots of olive oil, cooking wine, peppers, garlic, onions, and fish. i didn’t have peppers so i used mushrooms [because i like them way better!]. everything else was pretty much the same. my family fries empanadas [which of course is SUPER tasty], but in the interest of health and laziness, i baked them.
i was even MORE lazy and baked them in my toaster oven. they APPEAR slightly burned, but they weren’t.
anyways, i was blown away by my hidden talents. yummy lazy cuban halibut empanadas!
if you are interested, this is what i did:
need: fish, garlic, onions, mushrooms, goya sazon, goya empanada “discos” [i found them at H.E.B. or Fiesta], whatever spices you like [season all, mrs. dash, peppers, etc]
1. let the chopped onions simmer in olive oil for about 15 minutes.
2. add the chopped fish along with the sazon, olive oil, cooking wine, and preferred spices. let simmer for about 20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
3. 10 minutes into cooking the fish add the mushrooms.
4. defrost the “discos” and separate.
5. dab water along the edge of each disc and fill with about 2.5 tablespoons of filling.
6. press shut with the tip of a fork.
7. repeat until you’re out of filling…
8. cook in oven [or toaster oven] at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes [just keep a close eye out!]
9. OR, instead of baking, fry.